For immediate use
UNC-Chapel Hill classes are canceled, offices closed Tuesday until 8 a.m. Wednesday
(Chapel Hill, N.C. – Feb. 17, 2015) – Due to ongoing winter weather and hazardous travel conditions, the University is closed until 8 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2015.
The University has activated Condition 3 in its list of adverse weather operating conditions.
For Students and Faculty
All classes, including night classes, are cancelled on Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2015, until 8 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2015. Classes prior to 8 a.m. Wednesday will not be held. Arrangements to make up missed classes are at the discretion of the faculty member. (Condition 3)
All University offices are closed, including night shifts, effective starting at 7 a.m. today until 8 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2015. Severe weather essential employees are required to report to work as directed by their management. All other employees are directed not to report to work while the University is closed. Under state policy, these employees will not have to use personal leave when Condition 3 is in effect. (Condition 3)
Factors Leading to Today’s Decision
University officials have continued to monitor closely the impact of the winter storm on campus operations. Factors leading to this morning’s decision included the following:
- Ongoing dangerous road and travel conditions, including expected refreezing on roads overnight.
- Chapel Hill Transit buses are not currently running.
- The N.C. Department of Transportation and other state government agencies are recommending against non-essential travel.
- Hazardous conditions for pedestrians on campus.
The University currently plans to resume normal operations at 8 a.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2015. (Condition 1). Please continue to check the University’s homepage, www.unc.edu, for updates about University operations, along with the information sources listed below.
Employees (SPA and EPA non-faculty) are reminded of the University’s Adverse Weather Policy. See the Adverse Weather Policy Clarification for Employees for additional information.
UNC uses three main adverse weather operating conditions: Condition 1 (open), Condition 2 (classes canceled; University has suspended non-mandatory operations; offices are open and non-mandatory employees should report to work if possible) or Condition 3 (classes canceled; offices closed). Reports of state government closings do not apply to the University. The University generally announces adverse weather news on www.unc.edu, the campus information sources listed below, and through the news media. Unless a change is announced, the University always operates under Condition 1 – regular schedule.
Other Information Sources
- Alert Carolina website, alertcarolina.unc.edu, and Alert Carolina informational emails.
- (919) 843-1234. Adverse Weather and Emergency Phone Line for recorded information and announcements about campus operations.
- UNC Traveler’s Information System Radio, 1610 AM, near campus.
- UNC Department of Public Safety for details including parking lot conditions.
- Chapel Hill Transit inclement weather news and routes and schedules.
– Carolina –