A decade ago, Carolina launched a sweeping initiative to position the campus as a leader in the genomics revolution. On University Day 2012, the campus dedicated the Genome Sciences Building, which advances interdisciplinary scholarship and the faculty’s research funding prowess. Located at the geographical center of campus, the Genome Sciences Building has an overarching goal: to foster collaborations at the intersection of different disciplines – and in every way, it is designed to do just that.
The UNC-Chapel Hill School of Dentistry opened the doors to a new education and research facility and honored a generous alumnus and friend, Burlington businessman Maurice J. Koury, in April 2012. The Koury Building, which adds 216,500 square feet of space, adjoins the school’s existing structures – Tarrson Hall, Brauer Hall and Old Dental Building – at the corner of Manning Drive and South Columbia Street. The Koury Oral Health Sciences Building will provide improved technology for teaching and collaborative research across UNC-Chapel Hill and other campuses, larger lecture rooms and meeting spaces for inter-class collaboration, and an expanded 105-seat patient simulation laboratory.
The October 2010 dedication of Venable Hall and Murray Hall, the latest buildings to open as part of the Carolina Physical Science Complex. The namings honor the Venable family and longtime Professor Royce Murray. The original Venable Hall, home to the chemistry department since 1925, was demolished in 2007. The new Venable and Murray halls house the William R. Kenan Jr. Chemistry Library along with department of chemistry classrooms, lecture halls, conference rooms and the department of marine sciences.