|UNC invites community to support 25th annual blood drive|
|Tuesday, May 21, 2013|
Nearly five million people need blood transfusions each year, and with just one blood donation, three lives can be saved. On June 4, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill will celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Carolina Blood Drive with a goal of collecting 1,000 units of blood. Campus and community members are invited to attend the drive held from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Dean E. Smith Center.
To celebrate of 25 years, several prominent and loved Tar Heels are lending their support to the cause, including:
· Chancellor Holden Thorp and his wife, Patti;
· Chancellor Emeritus Paul Hardin, who started the drive 25 years ago, and his wife, Barbara;
· Bruce Carney, executive vice chancellor and provost;
· Bubba Cunningham, athletic director;
· Doug Dibbert, president of the General Alumni Association;
· Woody Durham, former Voice of the Tar Heels;
· Christy Lambden, student body president;
· Ron Stutts, WCHL radio personality; and
· Jones Angell and Eric Montross, Tar Heel Sports Network announcers.
All donors will receive a Carolina Blood Drive t-shirt courtesy of the American Red Cross. Eligible double red cell donors also will receive a special gift. Presenting donors will be registered to win a $1,000 gift card from the Carolinas Blood Services Region of the American Red Cross. Prizes, such as tickets to athletic events, autographed memorabilia and gift certificates, will be given away throughout the day. Local businesses are donating refreshments.
“We are proud of Carolina’s commitment over the past 25 years in our efforts to provide the needed blood donations to patients at more than 100 hospitals in North Carolina,” said Caroline Allison of the Carolinas Region of the American Red Cross. “Carolina has set the standard throughout the state as a model for other schools, and the Carolina Blood Drive has been a flagship event for many years, touching tens of thousands of lives along the way.”
In 24 years, the Carolina Blood Drive has collected 21,786 units of blood impacting up to 65,358 lives. The drive hopes to meet the goal this year.
Walk-ins are welcomed. Parking around the Smith Center will be free for donors and volunteers. For more details and to register, visit unc.edu/blood or call 919-605-3045.
On site contacts during the drive: Katrina Coble (336) 214-2448, Caroline Allison, (919) 605-3045